The Orphanage opens in 1870
The Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage was established in January 1st, 1870, to afford relief to as many of the necessitous orphans of the members of the Metropolitan and City of London Police Forces as the funds would permit: to provide them with clothing, maintenance and education: and to place them out in situations where there was a prospect of a successful career being secured.
Opened in 1870 by the then Commissioner Lt.Col.Sir Edmund Henderson the orphanage over the years developed into one of the best institutions of its kind. Facilities included a swimming pool, cinema, hospital, workshops, school and accommodation for over 200 children. Prize Days were graced by the attendance of Royalty, Lords, Ladies and Members of Parliament. Funding was obtained from member's subscriptions and donations from a very generous public. Children who were not admitted to the orphanage were granted a compassionate allowance for financial support at home.
The War Memorial Hospital, opened on 29th June 1923 by HRH The Prince of Wales and one of the wards